Top Tips to Car Washing Your Vehicle Like A Pro
Like most personal possession there does come a time for regular upkeep and maintenance. For your car, truck or SUV (maybe all if your lucky!) this holds true from both a mechanical and aesthetic viewpoint.
Vehicle aesthetics is subjective from one vehicle owner to the next – while regular car cleaning enhances both the upkeep and personal enjoyment value, it isn’t necessary to the overall function of the vehicle compared to maintenance.
To help sway those vehicle owners who don’t hold the aesthetic upkeep of their vehicle in high regard, we’ve created “Car Wash Top Tips” to help simplify this process for a DYI perspective & hopefully help enhance the potential personal enjoyment of make your vehicle look nice on the road!
How Often & Time to Complete
- A good rule of thumb for regular car driving is to wash your vehicle at least once a month – (this is to remove any surface contaminants which may impact paint protection in the form of waxes or sealants)
- A typical “hand wash” for a car should take you approx 30 minutes to complete for a car & an additional 15 minutes for an SUV
- If you don’t have a car washing kit to do this on your own time, we’ve linked to our Amazon store where you can get started!
- If you don’t have a wash mit or chamois, you can use clean towels or even microfibers for those hard to reach areas
Basic Cleaning Steps
- Always pre-rinse the vehicle before washing with car soap to help lift settled dirt (this will help reduce swirl marks)
- Never use dish soap for regular washing as its detergent will strip any paint protection already on the vehicle
- When hand washing work from the top of the vehicle and move downward (this will reduce the amount of grit build up on the wash pad)
- Quick check list of car washing procedures:
- Apply applicable pre-wash products (e.g. rim cleaner)
- Spray off vehicle from top down & wash from top down (including regular rinsing of wash mit – reduce potential swirl marks)
- Spray of vehicle & chamois, (wipe out door jambs for that added touch!)
- With a clean microfiber or towel, give the exterior windows (once dry) an extra wipe down to remove any water marks
Good luck & remember these are just basic starting points to make the hand washing process easier for yourself.